We’re gearing up for another great weekend around Southern California – will we see you? We will be busy catering parties in San Diego, City of Industry, Yorba Linda, Laguna Niguel, Irvine and Mission Viejo all weekend.
One of the biggest questions we get when we’re catering parties is “can I have this recipe”. We definitely have some culinary tricks up our sleeves that we have to keep quiet, but a really easy recipe to put your own spin on are Pork Carnitas. You can definitely use beef or chicken if you prefer, but nothing beats a tender, delicious carnita.
Whether we’re catering a party in your home, or lending our culinary expertise to some of the greatest businesses in Southern California, Rasta Taco promises only the best, freshest local ingredients one could find.
Aside from great ingredients, you need the perfect Southern California setting.
If you’re going to make our Carnitas recipe outdoors, you can certainly grill up all of the meat and vegetable ingredients, and still bake everything in your indoor oven (or if you have an outdoor oven, even better).
We also want your feedback. What did you love about your last Rasta Taco party? What is your favorite item on our extensive menu.
If you try the recipe below – send us your photos! We want to hear from all of our friends.
Pork Carnitas – Rasta Style
2 ½ lbs bonless pork shoulder, cut into 1-inch cubes
1 large onion, sliced thin
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 fresh jalapeno peppers (or other peppers to your taste) seeded & chopped
½ cup of chicken broth
2 tbsp olive oil
Salt & Pepper
Garnishes: shredded cheese, diced tomato, avocado, onion and sour cream for serving
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in large skillet. Sprinkle pork with salt & pepper and cook until well browned. You may need to cook in several different batches to ensure pork is cooked through.
- When pork is finished cooking, transfer to ovenproof casserole dish. Allow to rest.
- Take 1 tbsp of oil from skillet and add to a new skillet and cook onion until soft (approximately 6 minutes)
- Add garlic & peppers to onions and cook for approximately 3 more minutes
- Add garlic, peppers & onions to pork in casserole dish. Add chicken broth and mix well.
- Cover with casserole dish lid and cook for 1 ½-2 hours, stirring occasionally until meat is tender. If liquid has cooked away, you may add up to ½ cup of water during baking time.
- Serve Carnitas with warm tortillas, your choice of toppings and ENJOY!